Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Why the Crabapple Had To Go

OK, I guess if you've been reading my posts you'd think that instead of loving plants I'm a tree-killing maniac, running around my yard searching for my next victim.  Perhaps that lightning-damaged hackberry or that ugly lopsided box elder by the street?

How does a tree get such a weird tri-forked shape? 
It looks like it lost its main leader when it was young
or maybe someone topped it on purpose.
So, here's why that crabapple in our front yard had to go, despite its beautiful pink floral display in the spring.  First, I'm a big believer in growing plants that want to live and have some disease and/or pest resistance.  Our arborist told us that particular crabtree was a cultivar that is known for picking up diseases and pests as fast as it can.  Unless I felt like spraying it every year, it would always have problems.  Second, it had really bad branching and so was quite an ugly silhouette in the winter, not to mention it made for a weak trunk, which isn't good in a state with wild, wild weather.  Lastly, it was in a weird location, sort of by itself on the edge of the lawn, and was shading out trees and shrubs in more appropriate sites.

I have cedars all over my yard so if I ever plant another crabapple, it'll have to be one of the rust-resistant varieties.  Luckily there are lots of lovely new cultivars available.

No comments:

Post a Comment