Thursday, March 17, 2011

A bit of green for St. Paddy's Day

Garlic Mustard-not the kind of green I wanted to see on St. Paddy's Day
A shadow lurks over my garden, and its not the rainclouds that we are expecting later today.  It's reality, smacking me upside the head.  Now that the snow cover is gone, I can see just how much work I have cut out for me this year.  Garlic mustard is rampant throughout my yard, despite my heroic eradication efforts last year.  It's just a big mess everywhere I look.  Last night I couldn't sleep well because I was just so overwhelmed by it all. 

American Heuchera-either 'Dale's Strain' or 'Green Spice'
So, today, I grabbed my notepad and just started looking around.  I quickly realized it wasn't all doom and gloom.  I was cheered to see some snowdrops getting ready to bloom.  Seriously, those little beauties just glow with happiness!  Most perennials turn to mush over the winter but I saw some green that wasn't my dreaded arch-enemy, garlic mustard.  I saw some epimedium, hellebores, sweet cicely, male fern, lungwort, thyme and 'Angelina' sedum that looked like they were ready for spring.  My new favorite plant, American heuchera, was looking quite well too.  I even saw fat red buds on my two tree peonies (this was their first winter) which put a big smile on my face to know that they made it.

Snowdrops-ready to bloom
My kitties are ready for nicer weather too.  I let Teddy out on his leash and he found a rabbit pelvis bone with two leg bones and furry feet.  He played with it for a long time, tossing it into the air.  When he saw me coming to let him back in the house, he grabbed it and brought it to me, tail held high, excited to bring the nasty plaything in the house.  When I foiled his awesome plan for indoor fun and wouldn't let him bring it in, he sat by the door, pitifully meowing, trying to get me to let him back out to get his grisly new toy.  I finally had to pull out the kitty treats to distract him.

No comments:

Post a Comment