Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dainty Beauty Makes a Surprise Appearance

Pretty sure this is a corydalis...what strange little flowers!
One of my favorite events in gardening happened today...a new plant showed up in my yard.  Not sure where it came from, but I walked out my front door this morning to find a dainty little plant with delicate foliage and pretty white snap-dragonish flowers blooming under the big cedar.

At first I was really pumped because I thought it was perhaps a native but after digging through my wildflower books, I realized it was a non-native corydalis.  But that's ok because even though it would have been cool if it was maybe a dutchman's breeches or a toothwort, at least it wasn't an invasive weed, right?

I spent the afternoon working in the front yard and I found 2 other plants about the same size in the vicinity of the first one.  Maybe they were always there but were hidden by all the weeds I worked so hard to get rid of last year?  Or maybe they are a present left after a bird took its potty break?  However it got here, it was an exciting start to my day.
The more I see these 'Ivory Prince' hellebore, the more I like them!
Where the heck did this guy get a walnut?  I don't have any walnut trees...

Mrs. Moon pulmonaria...more funky little flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment