Friday, March 9, 2012

Amaryllis blooms again 2 years later

Nice waking up to this!
What a fab start to the day!  Woke up to find that my Amaryllis bloomed today. Yay!

It last bloomed in either January of 2009 or 2010, when I bought it on clearance at Target.   Instead of throwing it out when it was done blooming, I kept it, putting it outside in the summer and bringing it in for the winter.  It's been mostly neglected except for repotting it when it grew a bulblet. 


It wanted to bloom last winter but my youngest child and the cat did a number on it, breaking its stalk and damaging the leaves.  I figured that would kill it but it survived.


This was a photo from the first year it bloomed for us
Several weeks ago it sent up a large 2-foot stalk.  (It's not supposed to be that tall but there's not much light in the winter here, even with a grow light.)

Today it bloomed, just as pretty as the first time.  Surprisingly, it seems like it's just as big too.  I guess that year or two off gave it time to build up some energy.

The kids and I (and even my husband) enjoyed watching the bud over the last few days as it swelled and colored.  The bulblet I removed has two healthy leaves this year but no stalk.  I guess Amaryllis put up their flowering stalk first before their leaves.  Wouldn't that be wonderful if next year I have two that flower?

Bud three days ago
Bud two days ago


The bud yesterday-I noticed my youngest pointing it out to her friend and explaining about how it changed each day.  The excitement it brings my kids-that's a big reason I like gardening!




No comments:

Post a Comment