Thursday, May 5, 2011

Going After Gooseneck Loosestrife





I've already blogged about my front yard's foundation planting; it was very unattractive because it was overgrown and some of the nicer plants were getting muscled out by others that don't hold much charm for me.

One of those bullies is gooseneck loosestrife. Now, don't get me wrong. Overall, I like this plant. I like its unique white flowerheads and it does a good job of smothering weeds. Also I like its subtle fall foliage color. However, the previous owners had this planted by the front entrance in full sun and since I don't do much supplemental watering, by mid summer it was a big patch of ugly and diseased foliage. GL likes moisture.

I didn't want to take it out but since it swallows up any neighboring plants I also didn't want it in any of my perennial borders either. So, even though I was totally dreading doing it, I decided to rip it out. I also have a patch of it in a different area where it is controlled by a large spruce so I've consoled myself that it's not like I am totally giving up on this plant.

The easiest way to clear out the patch would have been to smother it or spray it but I needed the space ASAP for an overabundance of strawberry plants I had ordered in a moment of cabin fever madness. That meant pulling it all out, which basically meant removing the top 6-8" of soil in the bed. That's because the roots of gooseneck loosestrife form a dense patch of salmon-pink fleshy underground shoots and white fibrous feeder roots.

It took me all day but I managed to clear enough space to put in my strawberries before the rain started. In fact I got done early enough to transplant some perennials, rake and fertilize the front lawn (I sprinkled Garden Supply Company's Yum Yum Mix and compost on the grass) and I also got some peas, lettuce and spinach seeds planted (I know, I know, I should have done that weeks ago).

As I was forking wood mulch I was musing on how much easier that job is when you have a pitchfork versus using a shovel. Later, I realized as I was winding twine around some poles to make a pea fence that I was enjoying myself. It was actually fun to try and figure out how to get the twine to do what I wanted without cutting it. I never noticed before that I like jury-rigging things.

It's important to notice the small things that bring a person happiness, right? Maybe it's all these little bits of happiness that makes gardening so enjoyable.

As I surveyed my day's work I noticed that the strawberries I put in several days ago have really taken off; I was surprised to see they leafed out so quickly. I guess all the rain we've been getting is to their liking. So tonight I've got a sore back and sore hands but I'm happy that I was able to get so much done and that my newest batch of strawberry plants will get a good soaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment