Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I thought they were dead but they live!


Surprise!  Rue Anemone popping up among the oak leaves. 
 Sigh...Another yucky day. My frustration is building as day after day goes by and I cannot weed...Sigh again. Yet even now my yard still holds surprises.

Last year a bunch of plants I had planted in the spring had disappeared by fall. Did the wildlife get them despite my spraying Deer Off on them every month or so? Did they not like my soil? Did I not water enough or too much?

I had forgotten that many native woodland plants rise up like Lazarus in the spring and then go dormant to avoid all that drought and heavy shade found in a woods in summer.

So, I was practically giddy when I took a stroll between icy rain showers and found that my virginia bluebells (thanks Tana!), blue cohosh, rue anemone, "gold heart" bleeding heart, columbine and wild geraniums have started making their appearance. Yay! (The blue cohosh and rue anemone in particular were surprises; I was sure they bit the dust last summer. )

Still no sign of some plants that struggled last year due to my neglect but I may yet be surprised. I had bought a clay-tolerant butterflyweed (the regular dry soil butterflyweed is one of my all-time favorite plants; in my previous garden I had both the native orange and the cultivated yellow type). I wanted to see if it could survive in my heavy clay front yard and I chalked it up for dead as I didn't see any activity until one day in mid-September when I started weeding the area that is hopefully going to be my itty-bitty prairie garden and found it alive and well. I have no idea when it started to grow but it had to have been mid June at least. Same thing with one of its relatives, a woodland plant called Purple Milkweed (no, not the kind that is considered a noxious weed). It also took forever for that one to getting going.


Look who's peeking up through the snow?  It's a blue cohosh plant
 I came back in chastened by these little plantlings' desire to live and have resolved not to go nuts at the Flower Factory in Stoughton this year but concentrate on the plants already here. (Of course, last year my husband almost fainted when he saw the receipt for FF when I got a little crazy. There's another reason to keep my head this year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment