Monday, April 8, 2013

Dancing in the Rain


Deer Damage-Arborvitae

Rain, glorious rain!  It’s supposed to rain and be cold all week but I’ve got a smile on my face.  Why?  Because we are still a parched landscape despite the decent snow we got over the winter. 

I actually got chills down my spine yesterday when I drove by two nearby ponds.  I was shocked to see that both ponds are bone dry…not a drop of water in them!  I had figured with the big snow melt just a few days ago that the ponds would be full and we’d be hearing the frogs singing by now.   But there was nothing.

So, you won’t find me grousing about the gray, drizzly forecast this week.  Instead I’ll be out dancing in the rain (in my winter coat of course ‘cuz it’s still bleeping cold!

And I need to dance.  It's been a frustrating winter, with the drought conditions and desperate animals eating plants and shrubs that previously were protected by their proximity to the house and religious spraying of repellent.  

Unearthed and disemboweled tulips courtesy of the squiirels
It's a real downer and maybe I'd give up, except at the same time as I've been finding all the deer/squirrel/rabbit damage to my garden, I've found lots of lovely perennials and critter-resistant bulbs sprouting now that the snow is gone.  Hope springs eternal, right?

1 comment:

  1. Update! After the rain we've gotten since I posted this the two ponds are half full! Yay! And it's still raining...

    ReplyDelete